Malaysia is a beautiful country located in Southeast Asia and offers you a perfect mix of natural beauty and luxury. This country, which is visited by millions of tourists each year, is also a market leader in the medical tourism sector that mainly caters to Asian health travelers.
Medical Tourism in Malaysia
According to APHM or the Association of Private Hospitals of Malaysia, the majority of medical tourists in Malaysia come from Indonesia because of the superior quality of treatment and care that this country offers. The same reason also attracts health tourists from other Asian countries such as Pakistan and Bangladesh.
Furthermore, patients from richer Asian countries such as Japan and Singapore, visit Malaysia in order to get more savings on healthcare procedures. Meanwhile, Australians, European citizens, and Middle Eastern medical tourists also choose Malaysia for both the quality of healthcare and affordable price. In addition, Malaysia also targets Muslim tourists with its Halal treatments, such as medicines that are not derived from pork.
The Healthcare System in Malaysia
- The majority of clinics and hospitals offering services to medical tourists in Malaysia are privately-owned healthcare institutions that follow internationally-recognized standards in healthcare.
- Currently, there are about 35 hospitals and clinics in Malaysia that offer services to medical tourism and are all locally accredited by the MSQH or the Malaysian Medical Society for Quality Health and licensed by the Malaysian Ministry of Health.
- Most of these hospitals are accredited by international accreditations institutions such as the Joint Commissions International (JCI) and International Organization for Standardizations (ISO) among others, which puts them on par with medical facilities in western countries.
- In terms of doctors and medical practitioners, Malaysian hospitals and clinics employ internationally trained and English speaking specialists and staffs. As a matter of fact, more than 90 percent of these specialists and doctors were trained in the US, the UK or Australia and with some involved in international medical research.
Treatment Costs In Malaysia
Malaysia is a healthcare destination mostly visited by UK and US patients. The rising cost of healthcare in these countries is attracting more patients to Malaysia. Furthermore, the exchange rate of the currency in Malaysia is quite low, attracting a large number of Westerners to the country.
Patients can make a saving of 60 – 80 percent on medical expenses if they choose to have their medical procedures done in Malaysia.
Top 5 Medical Procedures In Malaysia
One of the leading healthcare treatment in Malaysia, many hospitals and clinics offer Endocrinology procedures such as pediatric endocrinology, thyroidectomy, gynecomastia surgery, and pituitary tumors treatment.
- Cosmetic and Plastic Surgery
Malaysia offers a complete range of minimally-invasive, non-invasive, or non-surgical procedures medical aesthetic services for face and body enhancements. Such procedures include eyelid surgery, breast augmentation or reduction, chin reduction surgery, liposuction, tummy tuck, facelift, implants, Sex reassignment surgery, and reconstructive plastic surgery.
Malaysia houses highly qualified dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons and periodontists that offer top of the line dental treatments and procedures from bridges, implants, dentures, crowns, filling, tooth bleaching, and cleaning, and dental braces to dental bone graft, cleft lip repair surgery. Flap surgery, wisdom tooth removal. Oral surgery, aesthetic dentistry, endodontic, and maxillofacial surgery.
- ENT Procedures
Short for Ear, Nose and Throat Procedures, ENT is also popular in Malaysia with clinics and medical centers housing experts in the field. Some of the procedures include Thyroplasty, Goiter removal surgery, septoplasty, Tonsillectomy, Adenoidectomy, Tympanoplasty, Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery or FESS as well as snoring treatments and hearing screening tests.
Malaysia also excels in the field of orthopedics with state-of-the-art facilities and equipment for the highest quality of procedures possible. Experienced doctors and specialist offer a comprehensive range of services including knee, ankle, shoulder, elbow, wrist, and hip replacements, corn removal surgery, Arthroscopic surgery, ACL reconstruction Spinal surgery and limb lengthening.