Traveling to a foreign country in order to get medical treatment seemed only like an idea a decade ago. Nowadays, you can now travel from different parts of the world to get treatment, whether you are looking to save money on medical bills, or to get a quality procedure done other than your home country and at the same time to explore a different country while on Holiday.
Thailand is definitely the location for you with its excellent facilities and quality healthcare, affordable prices.
Medical Tourism in Thailand
Even with the cost of a hotel, airfare and day to day living expenses, getting medical treatment in Thailand is still much more affordable than in the US. Dental and cardiovascular procedures will only cost you a few thousand dollars compared to hundreds of thousand dollars in the US.
Healthcare Services and Standards
Just because you pay less in Thailand does not mean that you are going to get a low-quality standard of care. Private hospitals in Thailand are known for their excellent amenities and high standards of service. The level of convenience and comfort offered by Thai hospitals are to international-standard with state-of-the-art medical equipment such as Image Guided Radiotherapy and Siemens Biography 64 PET/CT.
The quality of healthcare services in Thai hospitals can equally match that of Western countries. The vast majority of Thai private hospitals are recognized by the International Organization for Standardization and JCI or Joint Commission International. Furthermore, an equivalent of the American Medical Association, is the Medical Council of Thailand incentivize many hospitals to conduct quality assurance checks and to ensure that all aspects of their practice including quality of care and facilities are to the highest standard and safe.
Thai Healthcare Providers
Thai healthcare providers which include dentists, physicians, surgeons, and doctors choose to study and train in Western hospitals. They meet the necessary requirements of recognized medical boards and are highly capable of offering you the highest standards of treatment and care possible.
Top Medical Procedures and Treatments in Thailand
- Health Checkups – Offered in many hospitals in Bangkok and other major cities, health checkups in Thailand generally are cheaper with shorter waiting times for your convenience. Prices range from $100 – $150, depending on if it is a basic yearly checkup or a comprehensive executive checkup. In-house doctors will perform all procedures on the same day.
- Heart Disease – Thai hospitals provide different treatment for heart diseases including heart failure, arrhythmia, congenital heart diseases, coronary heart disease and more. They offer major and minor procedures and operations from heart bypass surgery to coronary artery bypass graft.
- Cancer – Thailand is also a popular choice for getting cheaper cancer treatments such as surgery, radiology, and chemotherapy. Furthermore, there is a clinic that provides integrative cancer treatment and highly trained specialists and oncologists will look after you.
- Addiction and Rehabilitation – Treatment for addiction is also offered in several Hospitals and Clinics in Thailand. They have English-speaking Thai therapist, psychiatrists, and nursing staff. They also offer a resident style facility complete with full detox program and collection of mid-range to luxurious amenities and accommodations. Rehab medicine along with occupational and physical therapists, speech therapist and prosthetists are also available in Thailand. They primarily work on neurological disorder from spinal cord injuries and strokes to brain injuries and Parkinson’s disease.
- Reconstructive Surgery – Thai hospitals also offer reconstructive surgeries for major and minor wounds and injuries, dislocations, burns, anterior cruciate ligament, sprains, fractures and surgical reconstructive procedures for infants and children.
- Plastic Surgery – It is no secret that Thailand is one of the most popular countries to choose for complex and simple reconstructive surgery for both cosmetic and medical purposes. As a matter of interest, plastic surgery here is practically an industry with procedures such as sex reassignment surgery, liposuction, breast implant or breast reduction, Botox injections, rhinoplasty, and facelifts.
- Dental Implants – For medical tourists looking to have quality dental treatments, Thailand is the place to go. Whether it is for minor procedures such as scaling, fillings, root canals and cleaning or more invasive procedures such as dental implants and bridges.
And finally, here’s a look at one of the Bangkok Hospital Groups facilities in Hua Hin, the aptly named, Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin: